Re: EPUB Rec track (Was Re: [minutes] 2019-10-01)

On 10/2/2019 6:10 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM Garth Conboy <garth@google.com
> <mailto:garth@google.com>> wrote:
>
>     And... jumping the gun...
>
>     Given your two scenarios, Jeff, I'd tend to lean toward #2.  :-)
>

> Jeff, do you think work on #2 should happen in the CG or in a WG? Or
> CG first and then WG?

For those on the thread who forgot what #2 is, let me re-produce it here:

2. Let's assume that we collectively believe that there are additional
meaningful enhancements for EPUB that we expect to deliver in the next
three years.  These could be sourced from several directions: (a)
Sequential arts (manga) requirements, (b) some level of interop with
Kindle, (c) bringing in some of the audiobooks content into the core
EPUB spec, (d) bringing in some early Web Publications content, (e)
natural evolution of the core EPUB 3.0 spec which was already approved 8
years ago.

If we believe that in three years there is enough meaningful content for

an EPUB 3.5, then I would not advocate taking EPUB 3.2 to REC.  I would

prefer to put our energies into the new function.

to which Garth said - yes let's work on that, and Dave said that the CG
is developing some proposals.

Now comes Dave's question do we do that work in a CG or in a WG.

W3C's general approach to such questions is that the work should be
incubated in a CG and standardized in a WG.

When the work is still exploratory (incubation phase) it is too
expensive to put it in a WG.  Teams will experiment rapidly with
different approaches; make many changes; and won't want the overhead of
doing that in a WG.

But CGs lack the rigor of WGs.  The work is not as well known, it will
not get the testing; horizontal review; level of patent protection; and
the imprimatur of the membership (AC) and Director.    So when the work
reaches a greater maturity level it should be transitioned to the REC track.

A roadmap provides an expectation of which new capability will be ready
technically or needed by the marketplace on what schedule. One (or
several) Community Group(s) could "hang out a shingle" and immediately
start working on some subset of the workscope.  The Business Group could
use the roadmap and assess when the work should start transitioning to
the REC track.

I don't know the roadmap so I can't answer the question directly.  If
some of the work is already mature/needed we could start a WG tomorrow.
If it all matures in two years we could plan to start a new WG in two
years.  More likely, the work matures at different paces.  The BG
proposes a charter (some months from now) outlining the expected
roadmap.  Depending on how many distinct "traunches" of function are
involved - there could be a single EPUB 3.5 deliverable proposed, or
incremental 3.3, 3.4, etc. deliverables - there could be different
deliverables identified in such a charter.

HTH