Re: [External] My opinions about the future of EPUB 3.2

On 10/29/2018 2:47 PM, Johnson, Rick wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> I believe that defining interoperability of the spec (on a feature by
> feature level) needs a more limited focus, which may differ from how
> the W3C has approached interoperability in the past.  What I am
> advocating for is interoperability of the spec for creation and
> distribution of a file, and to stop there (obviously highly dependent
> on EPUBcheck for this!).  Is it possible within the current process
> document (and common practice) to stop there, and avoid the discussion
> of ‘interoperability within the reading systems’ as a requirement?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question - but if I do - the answer
is Yes.

W3C Recommendations specify some behavior, and to get to a REC level
requires that the spec has been implemented interoperably. Typically, we
would like for test cases which validate at a feature by feature level
that the spec has been successfully implemented.  I believe this is what
you are referring to when you say interop for creation and distribution.

I'm not sure what you mean by "interoperability within the reading
systems" - but I am interpreting that to be a sort of compliance and
certification test whereby a standards organization certifies that an
entire implementation (in this case a reading system) has implemented an
entire spec.  That is generally beyond the scope of W3C Recommendations.