RE: Thoughts on rechartering and the future of publications on the web

> W3C may have achieved number of 50 or little more, but it is still 15% to 20%. And with transitional membership program coming to close, it may drop to some extent.

But of the 300 or so IDPF members, probably no more than 10% were ever active in the development of EPUB at any given time, and I’m not sure moving to W3C has changed the composition of that group greatly (plus the CG and BG can still be forums for discussion). What might be more helpful than looking at raw numbers would be to query those parties and find out who has the interest and time to dedicate to the tasks that are going to be necessary to get 3.2 to REC.

By way of example, the EPUB test suite was just a basic way of showing compatibility with EPUB 2, plus highlight some new features, and that took a lot of time to put together by a lot of people (we had a dedicated subgroup in IDPF working on it at one point, consisting of a good dozen or so individuals). If we can’t get at least a similar commitment of people and time, it would shed some doubt on the potential success of moving EPUB 3 into the REC track.

Matt