Re: Whither MathML support?

> On 8 Sep 2017, at 10:07, Laurent Le Meur <laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org <mailto:laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The fact is that MathML is an integral part of XML production workflows in STM. Bill K. makes it 100% clear. But is it mainly Content MathML or Presentation MathML?
>
> In the first case (Content Markup), and with the limitations explained by Liam, the presence of MathML is EPUB content seems logical, because tools like MathJax will map the semantics (required in a production workflow) to a good visual presentation with a good accessibility (both required in a publication workflow).

Hm. I thought that MathJax maps the presentation markup and not the content markup… I am looking at the examples in, e.g.:

http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/start.html <http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/start.html>

> In the second case (Presentation Markup), I still don't see the advantage of providing MathML over SVG (or HTML + CSS) at the EPUB (= publication) level.

Just to clarify your comment: you say that in the final EPUB file an SVG should/would be good enough for Math, right? I would agree with you except that if you want to add interaction to equations then (though feasible) it becomes probably a pretty complex SVG. Ie, if MathML could be displayed really quickly (ie, interactive speed) then attaching callbacks, colour changes, etc, would be way easier if it was scripted directly on the MathML level.

Cheers

Ivan

> Cordialement,
> Laurent Le Meur