From: Bill Kasdorf
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 3:39 PM
To: Ric Wright; W3C Publishing Business Group
Subject: RE: Whither MathML support?

I'll reply from the point of view of a major conversion and prepress vendor, Apex, which is the company I work for. And this is true of all of the other main prepress and conversion vendors that I know of. WRT:

  *   What is current publishing views on these questions?  Are the major publishers and/or journals actually using MathML?  It is not easy to find examples of the use of MathML (and most are very old) which suggests that it is not widely used.
Yipes!

What I think you're saying is "it is not easy to find examples of the use of MathML _in EPUBs_." That is true.

We create millions of equations as MathML, and so do our peers. It is fundamental to how we do math. To cite just one journal (admittedly the world's largest, PLOS), the first thing we do for _every equation_ is to convert it to MathML, no matter what format it comes to us in. All the uses of that math throughout the workflow, including images, are created from the MathML, and it is embedded in the XML that is the basis for the entire workflow. In the case of PLOS, as with many STM journals, that's JATS XML (almost all STM journals deliver JATS XML, though not all use it as the workflow format), but we also deliver all the content as HTML, and that includes equations. (I can't swear that the MathML makes its way into the HTML, but even if only images do, they were created from MathML.) That amounts to thousands of articles _per month_ published on a daily basis, a firehose of content. That's just one journal. The same thing is true of all book and journal content we create. All. All MathML. University of Toronto Press, for pete's sake? All MathML.

Virtually all math in scholarly publications now exists, at some point in the workflow, as MathML. The problem is that it almost never gets into EPUBs because the reading systems mess it up. (Plus almost no journals deliver articles or issues as EPUBs, though that is about to change. In fact Atypon, one of the world's leading hosting platforms for STM content, now owned by Wiley, will do that in their upcoming release. And it's all based on Readium.) We do what our customers tell us to do. So when they tell us not to put the MathML into the EPUBs, we don't. But we always have it.

I interviewed other prepress/conversion vendors and publishers for an article I recently wrote. Same story. They all have MathML for all their equations. Always. The MathML just doesn't get into the EPUBs.

So please help make the world safe for MathML in EPUBs!!!

--Bill K

Bill Kasdorf

VP and Principal Consultant | Apex CoVantage

p:

734-904-6252  m:   734-904-6252