Re: EPUB for Education (EDUPUB) proposal

Hi all,

in the EPUB ecosphere the host language HTML was enriched with epub:type
attributes to carry the structural semantics needed in diverse fields
(education, indexes, dictionaries, etc.). Whether we express that
information as @epub:type or as @role is just a syntactic detail as long as
the complete set of values for @epub:type from the IDPF specs will be
available as well-defined values for @role that should be supported by any
conforming RS.

I think we should be very careful that we don't deprecate or supersede
@epub:type too quickly, before the adequate "port" of its functionality to
@role has been finished. I personally think we should do our best not to
lose  years of development of a specialized descriptive vocabulary at IDPF
in a quick move to another model. As Matt pointed out: "We also still lack
the vocabulary to make it feasible to bring many of the satellite specs
forward with only role, and if we supersede epub:type it has to be ignored
by reading systems." I fully agree with this position.

Wolfgang