From: McCloy-Kelley, Liisa (she/her) <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2024 9:10 AM
To: kerscher@montana.com; 'Cristina Mussinelli - Fondazione LIA' <cristina.mussinelli@fondazionelia.org>; 'Reid, Wendy' <wendy.reid@rakuten.com>; 'Daihei Shiohama' <shiohama@mediado.jp>; 'Ivan Herman' <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: 'Ralph Swick' <swick@w3.org>; 'W3C Publishing Steering Committee' <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Publishing BG becoming a CG?

George-

You are right. The business group does not work with only discussing or working on things that get listed as issues in GitHub. We have a repo, but we almost never touch it because the business people we work with don’t work with issues and pull requests.

Thanks for the offer of help and certainly we can establish a workflow for filing an issue for the CG if we want to hand over some development query.

But this TDM thing is a great example of how even though there are only a small number of us who are heavily involved in the work we do at the W3C, we aren’t all on the same page and working together on the same pipeline.

In the end, there isn’t a validation problem with the TDM protocol in its draft form. My team made a mistake that the declaration that needed to be in the header because it isn’t a full part of the standard and was getting pulled out by one of our tools. So our testing for implementation was failing the newest epubcheck. Matt was able to quickly set us straight and we’re fixing the tool that removed it. But that then raises the bigger issue of do we want to fully adopt the protocol into EPUB as a part of the core spec and where does that discussion and planning happen? How do we support the rollout of this interim phase and eventual integration?

Wendy pointed out that she was unaware that the industry was planning to move forward with this. But we’ve been talking about it with publishers for months. We had a guest speaker present it at a PBG meeting earlier this summer. It’s on the list of topics for shared branding sessions with BISG. The publishers association in Europe has been recommending it to all of their members. And yet I can understand where she might not have been aware.  We need to find a better way to ensure that we’re all aware of developments like this and making sure we can support them as best we can. And not just for us, but for all of the publishing industry that depends on us to be there to support their business needs.

I know that business group has not always worked in the way that some folks assume we should. But honestly, Cristina and Daihei and I have a really strong working relationship as co-chairs. We have tried very hard for several years now to bring together the needs of publishers, vendors, retailers, authors and readers for discussions that can be approachable for folks across three timezones and parts of the world to have understandable and easy to access conversations about the business. And to do that in a way that is appropriate for furthering conversations towards standards. We do this work because we’ve all been dedicated to working on building standards for this industry for many, many years and we know that we are not done even if we’ve come to a more stable place.

I look forward to our next SC meeting and working together to figure out the next steps for our Publihshing@W3C efforts.

Best,

Liisa McCloy-Kelley
SVP, Director Digital Product Development & Operations
Publishing Operations
Penguin Random House
1745 Broadway, New York, NY 10019
P 212 572 8765