From: Avneesh Singh <avneesh.sg@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, October 29, 2021 at 5:39 AM
To: Laurent Le Meur <laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Cc: PBG Steering Committee (Public) <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>, W3C Publishing Business Group <public-publishingbg@w3.org>, public-publishingcg@w3.org <public-publishingcg@w3.org>, public-epub3@w3.org <public-epub3@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Minutes from EPUB.Next
From: Laurent Le Meur
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 13:51
“Replacing PDF is not a goal. Offering a better solution than PDF for ebooks, i.e. long reflowable publications, highly accessible for a low cost and optionally multimedia, is a goal. But we're not here to discuss PDF :-)”

Big +1
I would hate to be remembered as a member of anti PDF group. Our goal is to greatly improve publishing standards, and my personal goal + DAISY Consortium’s goal is focused on achieving great accessibility. It does not matter if it is achieved by EPUB or something better. When people approach me for guidance for publishing formats, I give suggestions according to the use cases. EPUB 3 is good for some use cases, HTML is good for some other, and PDF is good for some other.
In fact I have done my engineering and MBA using HTML, PDF, DAISY and also some EPUB, all of them helped me in different situations. (I believe all of you know that I extensively rely on screen readers)

At the same time I would say that my personal inclination is moving more towards native web technologies. 5 to 7 years ago I use to wish for really accessible reading systems which could encourage me to leave my habit of uncompressing EPUB and reading it in browsers. But now I wish for the day when we would not need to use EPUB and the publications would be based on native web technologies, which could be read on default browsers available on all web enabled devices. I do not know if it will take 10 years or more. But I am glad to see that EPUB is embracing web technologies more and more. And happy to see that reading systems are coming along, which will remain an important piece of eco system till this happens.

When I see myself as a visually impaired user, all this discussion on formats look useless to me. Users like me want accessibility, no matter it comes from x format, y format or z format. In fact if Adobe greatly improves accessibility of PDF and PDF reading, I will be glad to see it!

I would be glad to see us working towards improving publishing and improving accessibility of publications, no matter which formats become vehicles for achieving it.

With regards
Avneesh Singh
COO, DAISY Consortium