From: George Kerscher [mailto:kerscher@montana.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:50 PM
To: Rick Johnson; Paul Belfanti; Cristina Mussinelli
Cc: PBG Steering Committee (Public)
Subject: Agenda item: EPUB 3 affirmation for the publishing community

                Dear Cristina, Rick, and Paul,

I want to suggest a SC agenda item for our next call on May 30. Perhaps this  is best titled "EPUB 3 affirmation for the publishing community."

I have said in presentations that EPUB 3 is a rock solid standard that the publishing community can use with confidence. While EPUB 3.1 is not a formal recommendation by the W3C, it is a standard under the W3C. I would love to see the PBG make a public statement encouraging the use of EPUB 3.x by the publishing community. Of course, we will be hard at work on formal rec track publishing standards, but we have a terrific standard to use now and in to the near future. I believe an affirmation like this would help to move the publishing industry both within the W3C and externally forward. We want to see those that are currently using EPUB to continue and those that are considering adoption to embrace EPUB 3 with confidence.

Best
George

George Kerscher Ph.D.
-In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human right.
Chief Innovations Officer, DAISY Consortium
http://www.daisy.org
Senior Advisor, Global Literacy, Benetech
http://www.benetech.org
President, International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)
http://www.idpf.org
Member of the National Museum and Library Services  Board (IMLS)
http://www.imls.gov
Chair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), a division of the W3C
http://www.w3c.org/wai
Phone: +1 406/549-4687
Cell:+1 406/544-2466
Email: kerscher@montana.com<mailto:kerscher@montana.com>