Re: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM, McCloy-Kelley, Liisa <
lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com> wrote:

> Hi All-
>
> Sorry I had to drop out of the discussion for the last 36 hours- it was
> all the usual health and work stuff. Dang that day job.

Sorry to hear that. I hope all is well!

> I’ve tried to catch up this morning and wanted to throw in a few things
> that I’m happy to put on the wiki if that helps.
>
>    1. I’m in agreement with those who think that plenary is the way to go
>    and that panels are not always great. I’ve participated in and observed few
>    panels over the years that I thought were engaging. Doing multiple tracks
>    is more work and more to manage.
>
> Yep.

>    1. Short topical sessions would be my preference, with a large variety
>    of 15-20 minute topics- this is one of the most successful things to me
>    about BiB. No one gets a chance to fall asleep.
>
> This helps the audience, and it also helps the speakers focus on what's
important. But let's not have anyone drag a speaker off the stage after
precisely ten minutes.

>    1. The Pecha Kucha style lightening rounds at EPUB Summit were great
>    and that might be a good way to get things going at that slow moment after
>    lunch.
>
> Yeah, that was really quite fun! Great idea.

>    1. I’m not sure that I think “keynote” speakers are worth it. There
>    are few big names in all of this at this point who people would pay to come
>    see.
>
> I've generally found the keynotes to be the least interesting part of any
conference I've attended.

>    1. Having a clear “networking space” for people to talk in if the
>    current session wasn’t to their liking would be fantastic.

Yes!

> As for themes, I feel like the overarching theme needs to be relatable,
> sexy and interesting. We need something that is going to draw those folks
> who think that “ebooks are done and over” and help them understand we’re
> just getting started. There is so much more to do. This next evolution is
> beyond anything we’ve seen in the last 18 years and has great potential.
>
> What if we did something like:
> - The Horizon of Digital Publishing: What You Need to Be Doing NOW, What
> You Need to Be Considering SOON and How the Web Will Influence the Future
> of Reading
>
> That way the sessions could be grouped:
> - Now- Accessibility, Adopt EPUB3, Why Standards Matter, The Shock of the
> New
> - Soon(ish)- Better formatting, Connecting Publications to the Web
> - Future- EPUB 2027, PWP, web payments and all the amazing things

I really like this framing. It allows us to cover lots of topics, but gives
a sense of where they fit in the proverbial "big picture."

> This type of organization would help those who are never quite sure where
> something falls in the time-space continuum and need to know that we have
> to use this opportunity we have to push back the edges of the box we’re in.
>  (and yes, you know there is one of those boxes on your doorstep right
> now).

:)

> If we could get someone to talk about studies of digital reading habits
> with real info, that would be a HUGE draw for more publishing people. There
> is so little info out there about this that is trustworthy.

Micah has huge amounts of reading data, is totally awesome, and was one of
everyone's favorite speakers at ebookcraft. Just sayin' :)

Dave