From: Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken [mailto:tsiegman@wiley.com]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 9:03 AM
To: Bill McCoy <bmccoy@w3.org>; 'Graham Bell' <graham@editeur.org>
Cc: 'George Kerscher' <kerscher@montana.com>; 'Bill Kasdorf' <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>; 'Dave Cramer' <dauwhe@gmail.com>; 'Karen Myers' <karen@w3.org>; 'Luc Audrain' <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr>; 'McCloy-Kelley, Liisa' <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>; 'Paul Belfanti' <Paul.Belfanti@ascendlearning.com>; 'PBG Steering Committee (Public)' <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: RE: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

Let’s focus on refining the audience profile then and try to figure out what will suit that group. From the wiki [1]:

*        Mid-level technology and business managers plus some hands-on folks. Similar attendee mix to historical IDPF conferences at BEA, EPUB Summit events, former Tools of Change events.

I do fit in that descriptions, but I am not necessarily the best example, since I am involved in other aspects of TPAC. Can others chime in? Everyone on this list has been to dozens of conferences over the years. What would make your employees want to attend this conference? When I do budget planning, I request every conference and workshop that I MIGHT want to attend. I am usually told to pick 3 (or whatever the magic number is that season). What will make your employees choose this conference as one of the 3 that fits into the conference budget for 2017? What are the features of the conferences you have most enjoyed? What are the features of the conferences that you spent checking email because they were awful?

So far, we seem to be coming together around the following:

* Focus on great plenary sessions (not parallel tracks)
* Put out a call for proposed talks (this will require a tighter theme and volunteers to review submissions)
* Call for volunteers

[1] https://www.w3.org/Member/wiki/PubSummit

Tzviya Siegman

Information Standards Lead