From: Bill McCoy [mailto:bmccoy@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 10:22 AM
To: 'Graham Bell'; 'Tzviya Siegman'
Cc: 'George Kerscher'; Bill Kasdorf; 'Dave Cramer'; 'Karen Myers'; 'Luc Audrain'; 'McCloy-Kelley, Liisa'; 'Paul Belfanti'; 'PBG Steering Committee (Public)'
Subject: RE: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

HI Graham, thanks for sharing the perspective. BTW how many attendees (paid / total “buns in seats”) is your supply chain event at Frankfurt drawing in recent years? I’m just curious to understand what you consider as a “small conference”. E.g. would you feel differently if we were at 125 people vs. 250+?

FWIW while I indicated support for doing some parallel breakouts in earlier email that was mainly to support comments others were making by noting what is possible given our venue. I want to reiterate that in addition to Graham’s point about breakouts diluting the feeling of community vis-à-vis shared experience, it’s also significantly more work to organize parallel sessions and that work is not just in the session planning it also bleeds over into program, signage, day-of logistics, etc. It is slightly mitigated by lower standards for things like A/V in breakout rooms and even in some cases lower standards for breakout session organizing and prep but OTOH I think we’ve all experienced sub-par breakout room A/V and frankly sub-par breakout sessions where it was clear that minimal effort had gone into planning/prep. Personally, I’d much rather attend a super well planned plenary program than jump around slapped-together breakouts even if the more focused breakout topics might be more interesting to me in principle.

BTW one way some other events (including IDPF) have historically tried to split the difference is of course to come back together into plenary after some breakouts.  That could be an option for us but the cost factor to hold on to our plenary room while also doing breakouts might be a significant consideration unless we can do some really fancy dancing around room swapping with other TPAC meetings on Thurs/Fri. And I’ve seen mixed success with this approach in terms of whether a critical mass of attendees ever come back together after breakouts, especially when that’s supposed to happen late in the day.

--Bill