RE: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

HI Dave, well we’ve had a draft theme statement for many weeks and now we have an improved one. If we want to start over from scratch with an appeal to the public to help us devise a theme we can do it. But IMO the PBG SC should have decided to do that in March in London. At this late date, with need to announce that an event is happening and open it for registration by June 12, I think with your and Tzivya’s fresh thinking we should instead improve (/redo) the theme we already have been working on and move on to get the event announced and start working on program. I do think a public call for proposals does make sense.

--Bill

From: Dave Cramer [mailto:dauwhe@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:37 PM
To: Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken <tsiegman@wiley.com>
Cc: Bill McCoy <bmccoy@w3.org>; Karen Myers <karen@w3.org>; AUDRAIN LUC <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr>; McCloy-Kelley, Liisa <lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>; Paul Belfanti <Paul.Belfanti@ascendlearning.com>; Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>; PBG Steering Committee (Public) <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: Re: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

Publishing@W3C is new. We have been blessed with a fresh start. In the spirit of W3C, let's get the community involved in planning the conference.

First, we need a theme, a topic, something more than "this is a digital publishing conference, y'all are interested in digital publishing, you should come." Heck, we could ask  Twitter (and BISG, and existing WG/CG/IGs) what people loved or hated about IDPF/BEA, and what they'd like to see from a P@W3 Summit. We could each send emails to our colleagues asking such questions. How do we find out what would bring Peter or Rena to California? Ask them!

Once we have a theme, let's put out a call for proposals. I'd love to see speakers and panelists I haven't heard before, but just asking the people we already know is guaranteed to result in the usual suspects. This way we get volunteers rather than draftees, and the level of response will give us some information on how much enthusiasm is out there for such a conference.

Dave