RE: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

Tzivya I won’t respond inline either. So things don’t get buried in emails, I have created a wiki for the event. It is member-only (but not PBG Steering Committee only as that option is not available), at:  https://www.w3.org/Member/wiki/PubSummit please edit away.

Some comments on your comments follow.

I agree with you on technical and business not being so distinct.

I’m also with you on TOC being a good pattern for a productive and fun event that appealed on both fronts. I think if we could pull something like this off we would be firing on all cylinders in achieving other goals too.

But TOC was staffed by two full-time folks, Joe and Kat, with a crack team of event and marketing people supporting them, and a significant budget. W3C has a bit more infrastructure than IDPF but that means there’s one event person not zero and Susan’s main focus is going to be TPAC not our co-located event. And W3C has budget challenges this year in general, and as well we have brought less than half of TPI eligible former IDPF members into W3C so far.

Books in Browsers in early years was also relevant and fun IMO but also had a sugar daddy backer.

So I think we have to have realistic expectations about what volunteers like you and Dave can pull off with limited funding and part-time efforts from me and other W3C team members who will not be, iike Joe and Kat were, essentially dedicated year-round. Paying Laurent or Laura significant $ is not in the cards. Getting them to step up and volunteer to help would be fantastic though! And, while I don’t want to shirk my duties, I totally agree that fresh thinking on the program would be optimal.   I haven’t been able to attend ebookcraft so I can’t opine about that as a pattern. But maybe it is a better one although I don’t think we necessarily want to compete with it per se (and I doubt Laura would want to help us do so).

I hate to be prosaic but we need to lock by next Tues our requested plenary vs. breakout mix. So even if we are still vigorously discussing other aspects I encourage us to quickly get to consensus on that. My personal take is that some breakouts will be preferable to all plenary, but I am relatively neutral on plenary Thurs AM then breakouts Thurs PM & Fri AM vs. plenary all Thurs then breakouts Fri AM.  Also relatively neutral on 2 vs. 3 parallel sessions. From my experience the effort to organize the program is roughly proportional to the total number of sessions so going breakouts Thurs PM and going with 3 parallel tracks will increase the load on program committee vs. say going breakouts Fri AM only and only 2 parallel tracks. But that load is only one of the considerations. And 3 parallel tracks would increase the odds we save money by fitting into rooms already set up, and breakouts on Thurs PM might save us even more money by allowing us to use for our plenary Thurs AM the room that will be used for AC meeting Thurs PM.

--Bill