Re: EPUB usage

About why EPUB2 have been still produced until recently, I may bring here  my experience at Hachette Livre.

Production requirements are written by me and sent to suppliers by the prod dept who buys the service.

Until end of 2015, we had a technical reason not to ask for EPUB3 : it was the Adobe RMSDK ecosystem! All our distributors using Adobe tools for RS and DRM were not able to ingest EPUB3 files.
It was only with the inclusion of Readium in ARMSDK (release 11 I think) that this was solved. I then checked with all our distributors that they were able to ingest, distribute and read a sample EPUB3 Reflowable file and got all green lights only at fall 2015!

I was then able to setup a call for comments to all suppliers on a draft RFP for Reflowable EPUB3 production for simple books (B&W text).
This RFP was finally officially launched in March 2016 to open EPUB3 production for new titles.
And 16 months later, we are on the verge to forbid any EPUB2 file from our suppliers.
Finally!

Last but not least, this 2016 EPUB3 RFP contains a11y requirements that cover almost all of EPUB a11y 1.0 (I am upgrading it to ask for the metadata bloc).
And these EPUB3 file are accessible in ADE 4.5 even with DRM!

Luc