Re: Running headers/footers / new version of DPUB-ARIA?

Docs does in fact have native epub export (File -> Download -> EPUB
Publication), largely driven by Garth Conboy (also a co-chair of this
group). However, there is currently no facility in epub to do dynamic page
numbering, though of course implementations may generate them for their UI.
In the past, dynamic page numbering that changes with reflow has been
experimented with, but the community has largely moved to fixed page
numbers. This allows a user to understand their location after eg text zoom
(page 250 is always 50% of a 500 page book). The other common use is to
share location information succinctly and precisely, eg "class, turn to
page 250". It is unclear to me how important having a generated page number
is. There is also no particularly good way to do running page-header/foot
in epub, though a hacky facility to do it did exist at one point.
Currently, running heads are dropped in Docs to epub export. Future work in
this area will likely be done in collaboration with CSS, assuming we
actually decide to do it.