RE: descriptive infoset items vs. schema.org

I think this is going to end up as one of those “which world am I coming from” scenarios…

I suspect that while our “web friends” may be more comfortable with schema.org, the publishers and content authors have a history with DC (since that’s what used in every asset authoring format, except HTML).

Leonard

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:49 PM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Cc: W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: descriptive infoset items vs. schema.org

Leonard,

thanks, this is true.

For those who may not be familiar with this:  the JSON-LD context file for schema.org<http://schema.org>:

http://schema.org/docs/jsonldcontext.json

includes definitions for, e.g., 'dc' or 'prov' for the Dublin Core and the Provenance vocabularies, for example. What this means in practice is that we can also use terms like

"dc:creator" : "somebody"

in the JSON serialization, referring to the corresponding DC term.

That being said, in my personal view, we should try to reuse schema.org<http://schema.org> terms as much as possible to reduce the cognitive issues of mixing different vocabularies. I suspect that most of the DC terms have their schema.org<http://schema.org> counterpart, for example…

Cheers

Ivan