Some options for vertically-scrollable manga (was re: Dropbox has epub viewer)

From: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:45:48 +0900
To: Joshua Pyle <jpyle@atypon.com>, ryladog@gmail.com, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Cc: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
 Folks,

I am starting a new thread about vertically-scrollable manga.
Vertically-scrollable manga started several years ago, but it is about
to prevail.  However, different players use different formats now.

I made a few prototypes:

1) A single HTML version, rendition:layout=reflowable,
   rendition:flow=scrolled-doc
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvnlyf9vzo7mbx9/torinomeRev.epub?dl=0

2) Multiple HTML file, rendition:layout=pre-paginated,
   rendition:flow=scrolled-continuous

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07khe3bu64cfxx2/torinomeSC.epub?dl=0

3) Multiple HTML file, rendition:layout=reflowable,
   scrolled-continuous

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qfyumqfh9fe03n/torinomeReflowSC.epub?dl=0

In my opinion, 1) is the best.  It does not use any EPUB-specific
features.  If you unzip this EPUB and click the HTML document, you
will get the same result.

I am wondering if 2) is actually asking for a non-conformant
behavior.  Should the document be rather resized so that it fits in
the screen?

My memo for promoting 1) is available at

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_mab1YECyJegt5oZF8PmJl2RxZqcgPui4gnPksJ4yoA/edit#heading=h.krwuslpy0ros

and

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lPDFOpxet3Plt82ginR5D4LEiJ2FPjr07pRDb_wyjH4/edit#heading=h.50udxypynuwj

I did this experiment more than one year ago.  I believe that a
consensus in the industry is strongly needed right now.

How do people feel?  Perhaps, this is a nice topic for the upcoming
workshop in Tokyo in September.

Regards,
Makoto