Re: Minimal WPUB for a scholarly paper (of sort)

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 12:27:31 +0200
Cc: Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>, Laurent Le Meur <laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
To: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>
I have no problem having a separate context file (though, while we are experimenting, we should probably do it the way we have it today to make it easier in, say, the json-ld playground). Note, however, using the idiom of a context 'object' is necessary to set the language of the metadata (as you can seen in the "full" version).

Ivan

> On 5 Jun 2018, at 12:16, Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com <mailto:hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>> wrote:
>
> While all of these proposed solution work fine from a purely JSON-LD/RDF perspective, they're IMO a little too smart for their own good.
>
> If we don't plan on using schema.org <http://schema.org/> for the "default reading order" and the "list of resources" terms, we should define them in our own context file instead.
>
> I would much rather have:
>
> "@context": ["https://schema.org <https://schema.org/>", "https://www.w3.org/TR/wpub/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/wpub/>"]
>
> instead of:
>
> "@context": [
>     "https://schema.org <https://schema.org/>",
>     {
>       "publ-resources" : null
>     }
>   ]
>
> IMO this shouldn't be an issue with how Google and other JSON-LD clients will extract info from our manifest, they'll simply ignore the terms that they don't know about.
>
> There are other benefits as well to using our own context document:
> it's a much cleaner framework to extend our manifest than mapping individual elements in @context
> we want to map some terms to bib.schema.org <http://bib.schema.org/> as well (various contributor roles, cover)
> we might also need to map some terms to EPUB 3.2
> Hadrien

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Publishing@W3C Technical Lead