From: Hadrien Gardeur [mailto:hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 10:13 AM
To: Romain <rdeltour@gmail.com>
Cc: Baldur Bjarnason <baldur@rebus.foundation>; W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>; Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@gmail.com>; Ric Wright <rkwright@geofx.com>; Ruffilo, Nick <Nick.Ruffilo@ingramcontent.com>; Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>; Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>; Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: Pursuing the wrong goal? (was Re: A followup/writeup on our Monday discussions (was Re: Continuing discussion on Polyfills))

I agree as well that there are many different ways each of these affordances could be implemented.

Based on this week long exchange of emails, it seems that there are essentially two groups that have a hard time talking to one another:

  *   people advocating for affordances based on progressive enhancements and modern Web development best practices
  *   people advocating for "affordance free" content, where implementations of various affordances won't get in the way of dedicated reading environments
I strongly feel that it's too early to discuss "how" affordances are implemented, but could we maybe agree on a list of principles that will make both groups happy?

I believe that this is perfectly achievable, and this list of principles would be extremely helpful to avoid such arguments in the future.