RE: Let's get back on topic (was pursuing the wrong goal...)

Hi All,

Let’s take a step back. I think that we have gotten way off topic.

This thread started as a discussion that was fundamentally about whether we should move forward with an approach that is based on the Web App Manifest.

The underlying question is this: The User Agent accessed the starting page that includes a link to the manifest. What does it do with it? How do we get from the UA having information to the point where we have a User Agent implementing the basic affordances for WP?"

We seem to have some general constraints:
- A user agent that is aware of WP (what we have been calling WP-aware), including stand-alone Reading system apps, should not be bothered by any scripts/polyfills/whatever that are included in the WP
- Publishers of a WP should not be under the pressure to develop their own solution for WP-unaware browsers or other user agent

So, to everyone who has commented positively or negatively on this thread (and anyone else), what happens when a WP-aware UA encounters the link to the manifest? (This question is valid even if we choose not to use WAM, by the way.)

Thanks,
Tzviya

Tzviya Siegman
Information Standards Lead