Re: Continuing discussion on Polyfills

> On 6 Feb 2018, at 16:50, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com <mailto:byoung@bigbluehat.com>> wrote:
>
> Nick,
>
> What you've described so far sounds a lot like a static site generator, such as Jekyll: https://jekyllrb.com/ <https://jekyllrb.com/>
… which we also use for the WG's home page:-)

> Authors write simple (stupid) content-centric document (typically Markdown) and organize them into a certain structure and then the tooling does the rest (outputs HTML, adds scripts and polyfills, etc).
>
> One such static site generator that does all kinds of book-ish things is https://www.gitbook.com/ <https://www.gitbook.com/>
>
> Their tooling is open source https://github.com/GitbookIO/gitbook <https://github.com/GitbookIO/gitbook> (Apache License 2.0) and can be used to generate PDFs, EPUBs, sites, etc.
>
> Is what you're proposing essentially this same idea?

While this is indeed important and useful, I am not sure this is a topic of this working group. Just as the EPUB standard does not care whether the content is created on-the-fly somewhere, the same holds for the WP…

Nick,  I think I understand what you mean: the server expands the simple HTML content by adding a reference to a script in the fly. Which is perfectly fine, and may be a good solution for deployment for publishers, but it is again orthogonal to the concerns of this Working Group imho…

Ivan

> Cheers,
> Benjamin
> --