From: deborah.kaplan@suberic.net
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 06:40
To: Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken
Cc: Ruffilo, Nick ; Jeff Buehler ; W3C Publishing Working Group
Subject: RE: Continuing discussion on Polyfills

Nick said:

> In being reductionist, I don’t want to downplay or diminish any of the
> need for accessibility.  I don’t know enough to know what additional
> support is needed, but are any of the asks specifically
> publication-related, or are a publications’ needs for additional
> accessibility also the needs of the general web.  I assume they would be
> general, but again, I don’t know.

Short answer: Yes, the identified accessibility needs are specific to
publications.

Medium answer: Where the DPUB and PWG accessibility people have identified
needs we belive are part of the general web, they've been forwarded on to
the appropriate groups in the W3C.

Long answer: As Tzviya said, these are all documented in the use cases.
Don't just look under the heading "accessibility"; the accessibility use
cases were incorporated into the main body of the use cases. Some of the use
cases aren't even specifically called out as acessibility, but are very
clearly needed for accessibility, and are also specific to publications.

We have also endlessly rehashed the debate over where do we draw the
boundaries of a publication (eg, the entire range from "basically any HTML
fragment" to "must have an ISBN"). There is no perfect answer to the debate.
Every single argument folks have made on the question has plenty of merit,
but the problem is that (1) there's no perfect place to draw the line, and
(2) we need to draw a line somewhere.  Let's take what we've already decided
as givens.

Deborah