Re: [AudioTF] Some helpful comments from an audio publisher

>> On 22 Dec 2018, at 11:20, Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@gmail.com <mailto:matt.garrish@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> > I should be allowed to create a Web Audio Publication, using a HTML PEP with the ToC in it, package it, and call it a bona fide audio book.
>>
>> Call me jaded, but we’ve gone down this road before with EPUB trying to make it the format for manga/comics and magazines (that immediately spring to mind), and it didn’t succeed. I’m not getting the impression that web deployment of audiobooks as web publications is a primary concern, so forcing compromises that makes them conforming may not be the best way to tackle the problem for either format.
>
> It may be true for audio books, but the examples I have seen at the Manga workshop in Tokyo does suggest that a Web deployment of manga is certainly of a great interest. One the other hand, we did agree (and Lauren's submission goes in this direction[1]) that the packaging solution we would use should be general and not restricted to audio books.
>
> Ivan
>
> [1] https://github.com/w3c/pwpub/pulls <https://github.com/w3c/pwpub/pulls>
Yes, in this first draft I chose to be generic and keep a MUST on the presence of an entry page, that could be as simple and static as :

But this is open for discussion.

We should take for granted that a "streamer" (the piece of software that will expose the container as a Web Publication) will add to this basic entry page a link to some JS that will provide a decent Web reader/player for use by non-WP compliant UAs (i.e. browsers). But this is in the realm of best practices, not specification.

Best,
Laurent