From: Hadrien Gardeur [mailto:hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:00 PM
To: Baldur Bjarnason
Cc: Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken; George Kerscher; Matt Garrish; AUDRAIN LUC; Avneesh Singh; Garth Conboy; Laurent Le Meur; Leonard Rosenthol; Greg Albers; public-publ-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: definition of Web Publication

AFAICT, the only concrete detail proposed that is relatively unambiguous and has technical implications is the idea that a web publication should be defined by an self-identified manifest that can be external to the HTML files that compose the publication and whose URL identifies the publication as a whole. But I’m not sure we have consensus even on that detail.

That's exactly what I'd like to discuss, and I agree with that statement.

I think that so far:

  *   "a web publication should be defined by a self-identified manifest", pretty much everyone agrees about that
  *   "that can be external to the HTML files", most of the list seems to agree with that, but I've seen a few voices opposed to this idea
  *   "whose URL identifies the publication as a whole", that's where we have a pretty massive disagreement as I believe that the URL of the manifest is a perfect fit to identify the publication as a whole, but others (Dave, Garth for example) want a URL that returns HTML instead (not sure why an identifier MUST return HTML, but anyway...)
IMO, this type of bullet point list is more helpful to get a vision of what we're trying to achieve than the kind of details about definitions being discussed in this thread (I know that Romain has made that point before, and I agree with him).