Re: WP "reading mode" (was Re: What do Web Publication User Agents Do? How Do We Test Them?)

> On 14 Aug 2017, at 15:54, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com <mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:
>
> (As I tend to) I want to put forth the opposite position on this idea of a “WP Reading Mode”.
>
> Dave asked the question in his original email: “What do we need that the web doesn't already do?”.  I would ask that same question but slightly differently – “Why do we need to differ from the web?”
>
> The world knows how to consume content in a web UA – the “toilet paper roll” experience.  They know how to use links to navigate from “page” to “page”.
>
> Why do we think that users want/need a completely different experience when consuming a publication?

But… I think you guys are essentially saying the same thing, in fact.

The user, today, is used to certain features and possibilities that are bound to the case when (technically) the 'page' is a single HTML file (or something similar). A WP is, potentially, more than one page, but only techies know that. Because we say that a WP is a single conceptual entity, that also means that the reader/user does not want to know that; a WP, for her, should behave like a single Web page. The obvious example (almost all the others on this thread are pretty much along the same line) is search: the reader today is used to search a word on a (Web) page, and I would think she would expect exactly the same if it is, in fact, a collection of a 1000 pages.

So you are right: the user may not necessarily want/need a completely different experience (from the Web) when consuming a publication. But those user experiences should be possible on a WP; put it another way, we should provide the facilities to achieve that for a WP.

That being said: there may be needs that we can foresee will not really work well. The 'toilet paper roll' experience on the Misérables would be awful I believe, unless a very good bookmarking facility into the content is provided. There again: we have to provide the information that would empower UA agents to do that.

Cheers

Ivan

> [...]
>> navigate between primary resources (to read an entire publications without relying on the presence of links between primary resouces)
>> jump to a specific primary resource (necessary to handle a ToC or internal links)
>> prerender adjacent primary resources (much better UX when quickly browsing through a publication)
>> Since the Readium-2 work is already based on HTTP and a manifest, we should be able to create a minimal WP UA from our existing code base with only very minimal changes.
>>
>> All the other features are still difficult to cover at this point given our current discussions:
>> Access a table of contents (Not sure how we'll handle navigation or if/how a manifest will reference it)
>> Save the user's position in a WP (How do we point to a specific position in a resource?)
>> Annotations/highlights/bookmarks (Same problem, not clear how we handle specific references inside a resource)
>> User settings for styling (How do we inject CSS into a resource and handle author vs user styles? It's not always going to be easy or possible at all to modify a resource to style it)
>> Offline access (Service Workers are not available on iOS and do not work in webviews on Android, which clearly limits our ability to read WP offline. IMO this is very difficult to achieve consistently across platforms right now.)
>> Media overlays or its equivalent in WP (Unclear if this is within our scope or how it could be handled)
>> Search (What's the scope for search, is it limited to primary resources for example? Do we expect search to be the responsability of the UA or is it a service that the WP provides?)
>> Dictionary & index (Do we expect the WP to provide a dictionary or an index? Can a UA provide its own?)
>>
>> Hadrien

>>> Dave wrote

>>> Not directly missing but foremost on my mind is polyfilling / progressive enhancement. Since authors will have to provide WP features in the WP itself for the time being, I wonder how a transition to "native" UA behavior could occur.
>>>
>>> For example, I could imagine people wanting a "native" UA (which might be just a browser extension with a different kind of polyfill) to work more like today's reading modes, i.e., the UA would strip extraneous content, in particular WP-provided WP-features after the user opts into the UA's WP support. It seems then WP design should ensure that UAs can do a good job at this (as opposed to the kind of hacks you can find in reading modes such as stripping styles but then leaving "commonly used" class names alone).
>>>
>>> On the other end of the spectrum I could imagine people wanting a hard cut off where a WP should check for some API (e.g., `if ('webPublication' in navigator) ...`) before loading WP-provided WP-features.
>>>
>>> I think without a very good path from polyfilling to "native" UAs, developers will find it difficult to hand control over to a UA.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Publishing@W3C Technical Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/ <http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/>