Re: What do Web Publication User Agents Do? How Do We Test Them?

Dave wrote

> What else are we missing?

Not directly missing but foremost on my mind is polyfilling / progressive
enhancement. Since authors will have to provide WP features in the WP
itself for the time being, I wonder how a transition to "native" UA
behavior could occur.

For example, I could imagine people wanting a "native" UA (which might be
just a browser extension with a different kind of polyfill) to work more
like today's reading modes, i.e., the UA would strip extraneous content, in
particular WP-provided WP-features after the user opts into the UA's WP
support. It seems then WP design should ensure that UAs can do a good job
at this (as opposed to the kind of hacks you can find in reading modes such
as stripping styles but then leaving "commonly used" class names alone).

On the other end of the spectrum I could imagine people wanting a hard cut
off where a WP should check for some API (e.g., `if ('webPublication' in
navigator) ...`) before loading WP-provided WP-features.

I think without a very good path from polyfilling to "native" UAs,
developers will find it difficult to hand control over to a UA.

Peter.