De : Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com<mailto:dauwhe@gmail.com>>
Date : jeudi 3 août 2017 à 10:00
À : Romain Deltour <rdeltour@gmail.com<mailto:rdeltour@gmail.com>>
Cc : W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org<mailto:public-publ-wg@w3.org>>, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com<mailto:byoung@bigbluehat.com>>, Hugh McGuire <hugh@rebus.foundation<mailto:hugh@rebus.foundation>>, Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com<mailto:daniel.weck@gmail.com>>
Objet : Re: Web Publications via HTML Imports
Renvoyer - De : <public-publ-wg@w3.org<mailto:public-publ-wg@w3.org>>
Renvoyer - Date : jeudi 3 août 2017 à 10:00

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Romain <rdeltour@gmail.com<mailto:rdeltour@gmail.com>> wrote:
And Resilient Web Design (implemented as a PWA, offlinable, with an app manifest):

  https://resilientwebdesign.com/

I've been looking at this book, and liking what I see.

1. There's a useful starting point, an HTML file with a nav doc. A user, when given the URL of the book, gets to see what it's about, and immediately sees how to start reading.

2. Each resource contains link relations pointing to the table of contents, the next resource, and the previous resource. One browser used to have UI for rel="next", which makes it possible to read the entire book from beginning to end without clicking a link. That browser (Opera 12) also had a feature to add a TOC to a "secondary browsing context", making nav always available (see screenshot).

3. The book is completely functional even if JS is disabled (or CSS for that matter).

4. The HTML is beautifully clean.

5. It works offline due to appcache and a service worker

This seems to be the state of the art for a book on the web today. But there are still things I hope for:

A. It's hard to personalize, as browsers typically offer fewer easy ways to change  font, font size, etc. than do EPUB reading systems.

B. Page search in the browser only searches the current chapter rather than the whole publication.

C. Aside from the back-forward cache, browsers don't remember a user's location in the book

D. Browsers don't take advantage of all that good link/@rel information

Still, this looks like a great starting point!

Dave