PROV-O: what syntax is used for the examples?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:43:45 +0100
To: W3C provenance WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Ref: http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-o-20120724/

(Currently, I'm posing this as a question I need to understand order to reason
coherently about aspects of provenance expressed in RDF, but I may also raise it
as a formal issue.)

I can't see a specification or citation for the syntax used for examples in PROV-O.

This may seem like a trivial point, but I think it's a serious omission.  In
particular, I'm trying to interpret how the mentionOf and bundle structure plays
out when represented in RDF and, while I can make guesses, that's not a sound
basis for interpretation.

Most of the examples appear to conform with Turtle
(http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/turtle/), but there are some (e.g.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-o-20120724/#Bundle) that do not.

Because such examples given go beyond the current structure expressible as an
RDF graph, I think some explanation should be provided about how these should be
interpreted as RDF.  (E.g. "<id> { <turtle expression> }" could be presented as
an RDF document on the web at URI "<id>".  If this reflects what is intended,
then I think some further comment is needed about when it is valid to merge
these graphs, or what kinds of cross-bundle inferences are possible, because the
PROV-O ontology alone can't express any of that.)

(Most of this "processing model" concern goes away if we drop mentionOf.  But in
order to understand how mentionOf plays out in the RDF representation of
provenance, as described by the OWL ontology, I need to understand these details.)

#g