Re: PROV-ISSUE-7 (define-derivation): Definition for Concept 'Derivation' [Provenance Terminology]

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:57:49 +0100
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
CC: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Luc Moreau wrote:
> Graham,
>
> In my example, I really mean for the two versions of the chart to be
> available at
> the same URI. (So, definitely, an uncool URI!)
>
> In that case, there is a *single* resource, but it is stateful. Hence,
> there
> are two *resource states*, one generated using (stats2), and the other
> using (stats3).

Luc,

I had interpreted your scenario as using a common URI as you explain.

But there are still several resources here, but they are not all exposed on the
web or assigned URIs.  I'm appealing here to anything that *might* be identified
as opposed to things that actually are assigned URIs.   (For example, the
proposed duri: scheme might be used -
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-masinter-dated-uri-07.html)

(And the URI is perfectly "cool" if it is specifically intended to denote a
dynamic resource.  A URI used to access the current weather in London can be
stable if properly managed.)

(I think this is all entirely consistent with my earlier stated positions.)

#g