From: public-prov-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-prov-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Satya Sahoo
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:17 PM
To: Graham Klyne
Cc: Simon Miles; Provenance Working Group WG
Subject: Re: definition of derivation?

Hi all,

I broadly agree with Luc and Simon's definition, except I would replace
affected with created from, since a thing X may be affected by thing Y,
but X may not be derived from Y. For example, cold temperature affects
plant X, but plant X is not derived from cold temperature.

Modified definition: "Derivation represents how stuff is transformed
from or created from other stuff."

Also, would like to point to the both the "derived from" and
"transformation of" properties defined by theOBO Foundry Relation
ontology [1], which is widely used in biomedical ontologies.

Thanks.

Best,

Satya

[1]http://www.obofoundry.org/ro/