RE: PROV-ISSUE-4: Defining Agent using FOAF's definition

Martin,
I would agree that trying to define intensity of agency is a black hole,
beyond perhaps something that mirrors the dc:creator/dc:contributor type
of split, i.e. if the group feels that controls vs. participates is a
useful if still vague distinction, then OK.

I do think that research groups, organizations, corporations, etc. are
valid things though, as would be workflow engines/schedulers and
software agents working on someone's behalf.

 Jim

straightforward. Social
> causality is known to be subjective and view-dependent. In physics,
there is no
> more a notion of strict causality.
>
> If we want to make the model simple, we should not speculate about the
> intensity of "agency", but state if a human being or a social human
group is
> directly present, involved in or legally responsible for a process.
Then the modes
> of presence, involvement or "agency" can be defined by subproperties.
> Therefore, in ISO21127, we preferred the term "Actor" over "Agent".
>
> A possible construct would be to define an "Agent" as an n-ary
relationship (an
> RDF class) between the actual persons and the process in question.
Such models
> however introduce an ugly indirection, which satisfies more
philosophical views
> than practical needs. Ultimately, this is however the need if "Agent"
is seen as a
> process-dependent role, because otherwise the real persons behind
cannot be
> identified, and this is what we need for provenance, much more than
details of
> their ways of acting. This problem was discussed between the working
groups of
> CIDOC CRM and ABC Harmony

(http://tc.eserver.org/authors/Doerr,_Martin,_Jane_Hunter_and_Carl_Lagoz
e)

> In the course of finding very generic classes, one is easily lost in
philosophical
> problems. It is not only important to create as few concepts as
possible, but also
> concepts of things and facts that can easily be veryfied and
identified. Presence
> of people or legal responsibility is normally well-defined in the
processes we are
> interested in.
>
> The European library practice registers "authors" in the sense of
"Actor"
> presented above, whereas the American tradition used to register
"authors"
> relative to the creation of a book. Recently, the American practice
was found
> highly problematic for information integration, and slowly the
European is
> internationally adopted. We should not make the same mistakes.
>
> We should not be misled by the physicality of a human body that a
social group,
> such as a research team, may constitute one Actor or Agent, but not
easily be
> identified as a "Thing".
>

> Best,
>
> Martin
>
> On 6/21/2011 9:34 PM, Myers, Jim wrote:
> > Stephan,
> >
> > I can see the argument that an agent could be seen as a view, but it
> > doesn't sound as compelling to me as student or employee as views -
> > those view would have additional properties (student ID, major,
> > salary, etc.) and such views have some longevity. In contrast, I'm
not
> > sure what new properties me as an agent would have and it seems more
like
> I'd be creating the agent-view-of-me just for PIL (single use to have
something
> to control a process). If we have me, and a student view of me, do we
also want
> a student-agent-view of me to take a test? I raise this example in
part to show
> that if agency is a role, one could still have views such as
student-view-of-me
> that could play that role.
> >
> > I guess I should also ask if agents are IVPs of other things - would
> > they still be a special type or are they just things too, as other
> > IVPs currently are? If they are not special types, I think this
would
> > become a model where things can control processes and a
suggested/best
> practice might be to create an IVP in cases where there's a need to
distinguish
> some characteristics of a thing-as-agent that are different than the
thing itself. Is
> that the intent?
>

> > Jim

On