Re: smaller example

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:18, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Not exactly, I think, since there is no requirement on enumerating
> properties completely.

Yes, I was just thinking this after posting - we might not even know
all of the properties or their values, we just know there is something
that identifies A and B - and that sometimes they are 'the same
thing'.

For instance Person - we could go on in endless discussion about what
properties define a person. We can still easily agree that Alice and
Bob in a meeting are not the same person.

And perhaps "Stian the provenance researcher" is an invariant of
"Stian" (sharing all of "Stian"'s immutable properties, many of which
are difficult to define and quantify), and "Stian the baby in 1980" is
also an invariant of Stian. We can however easily say that "Stian the
researcher" is not an invariant of or equal/equivalent to "Stian the
baby in 1980" because the baby had not even started school - some
immutable properties of the researcher ("knowledge about provenance
research") are not the same as with the baby, even if both share the
immutable properties about their role in the event "Stian's birth".

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science