Re: PROV-ISSUE-1 (define-resource): Definition for concept 'Resource' [Provenance Terminology]

I think Paolo has usefully threaded a path through our discussions.  Thanks!  At
first reading, I would consent (in the sense of "consensus") to definitions
framed on the basis of what he has written here.

The issue of monotonicity (of provenance of a stateful resource) is interesting.
Intuitively, it seems appropriate, but I'd need to let it stew awhile before
accepting it unconditionally.  My immediate concern is how do we account for
correction of previous errors in provenance claims?  But this question goes to
the heart of what is, IMO, one of the key purposes of provenance on the Web
(i.e. to help deal with conflicting information in the Web, and the Semantic Web
in particular), so maybe that point gets addressed separately in any case.

Aha!  I just thought of another example:  suppose we're talking about provenance
of a car (e.g. for QA purposes).  Initially, suppose it has engine A, made by a
particular factory.  The provenance of the car include the provenance of engine
A.  Sometime in its life, the engine fails and is replaced by engine B, and
provenance of engine C becomes part of the car's provenance.  At this point,
does it make sense to claim that the provenance of A is still part of the car's
provenance?  A similar example could be constructed for, say, a photo album
where images are added and removed.