RE: PROV-ISSUE-30 (name-for-bob): What name do we use for the BOB construct? [Conceptual Model]

+1. I think our challenge in PIL is to recognize that there are no
distinctions in the model we're discussing between very long-lived,
highly mutable Bobs and very short-lived, highly constrained ones. I can
talk about 'Jim was born', I can distinguish between childJim and
adultJim, or naiveJim and educatedJim to talk about learning, or
hungryJim and fullJim - all of these are valid things to record
provenance about. Other than the 'unchanging idea of Jim' (I've heard of
'historical Lincoln' as being this type of unchanging view) which would,
by definition, have no provenance, PIL needs to be able to talk about
all the other types of Bobs. Some of those will look like snapshots, but
most don't. If Jim-with-a-license is the snapshot of me that was created
when I took my driver's test, it's one that lasts for tens of years....

I think we'll have much better luck explaining to the world if we start
by saying PIL provides a model to talk about the provenance of entities
which include all of the types of things you already give identifiers to
- people, documents, The Royal Society, etc. Then we point out that PIL
has made the modeling choice to treat change internal to an entity via
the definition of new entities that represent the original in specific
contexts - a document with a fixed content is modeled as a version of
that document, copies represent the same logical file in different
places, we define "They Royal Society in London during period X", or
"They Royal Society at its 300th meeting", if we want to describe its
evolution,  etc. Again, it is clear because that is already done -
versions and copies and FRBR expressions/manifestations are already
understood to be entities in common sense terms. The fact that some of
these look like a bit like  'snapshots' and that our examples can
include very odd entities (Jim-when-he-breathed-out-just -now) is just
due to the granularity and the subject of the examples getting to a
finer scale than we discuss in casual conversation, not due to a
difference in kind. (Entities that represent me before and after
breathing might be useful if we're in a medical context, but it is the
complexity of that context that makes tracking the provenance of such
non-traditional entities useful... our unease with such ephemeral
entities is really due to our unfamiliarity with the intricacies of
medicine that make it useful to distinguish them).

Assuming that there is  only one type of Bob -  if we start from the
terminology of snapshot, we'll have to explain how PIL is relevant to
people who want to describe the history of objects/things/entities. (I
have a file, it has an identifier, and to use PIL I have to create a new
identifier and think in terms of a snapshot of that file which is
somehow not the file, even in cases where I just want to talk about
unchanging content (my server generated a license file for customer X)).

(If one really thinks we should have PIL:entities and PIL:snapshots both
in the model - versus just one concept that has to be renamed from Bob -
then we have more challenges to explain the difference in terms of what
they can be used for in the model as well as to provide guidance on when
to use which concept - both hard when the world already mixes them
(versions are objects and they are snapshots of documents - what are
they in PIL?)

 Jim

characteristics