RE: Models and their use

I'm having a hard time understanding how this discussion changes the model (or what version/interpretation of the model).

Leaving out description, which I agree is separable, where do we stand with thing/IVP?

Thing is being talked about as entity now (and was Bob for a while)? And the argument is that we don't need to distinguish between the idea of a provenance thing and the entity definitions in other ontologies, or perhaps better - the mapping of instances of the classes 'comet' and 'comet-near-star' to provenance entities is not part of the model, but is an implementation detail?

How do we know that "Halley's Comet" and "Halley's comet near the sun" are related and not 'representations' of different 'stuff'? ("Kahoutek-near-the-sun" Is not an IVP of/not related to "Halley's comet".) What terms/description of 'representation' and 'stuff' is current? Do we still agree that there is something out there behind/beyond entities?

Where does IVP stand? What I'm picking up for the most part is that IVP can't be hierarchical in general, which I think has faded as we tried to talk about properties of one entity having to be immutable in an IVP of it. Technically, I'm not sure we ever said that there couldn't be properties going in the reverse direction (allowing A IVP of B and B IVP of A), and my original arguments were that invariance was relative to the processes being discussed which also implies IVP relationships could go in both directions depending on the processes you wanted to talk about. Is the current discussion just reaffirming that we're not talking about hierarchies of invariance, or is there more to the discussion about how the IVP relationship has to change?

 Thanks,
 Jim