RE: Regarding the definition of IVP OF

To respond to a couple of the recent emails at once:

I think I agree with Khalid that being precise about the property-level
meaning of IVP is going to be tricky and that ultimately it will have to
be an assertion rather than something we can infer. Although I'd like to
see some guidance on how to use IVP that includes talking about the idea
of invariant properties, I would be OK if those were not formal parts of
the definition.

Regarding a bi-directional IVP of relationship - although I think it
will be rare, I think it does occur and would like to see it be a
possibility. Even in the document/file case, I think I could talk about
the document lifecycle where at one point a particular file was a view
of it with a particular content/state, while I could also think of a
temp.txt file lifecycle that at different points in its lifecycle had
different documents that were views on the file content/state.

To me, the general problem is that of crossing ontologies - there are
different ways of viewing the world that 'line -up' at certain points so
you can relate instances in one ontology to those in another. In
practice, I think a lot of the ontologies people want to connect
(especially in provenance) are hierarchical (in the sense of
representing an 'X' and the concept of X-in-state/context-Y') or pseudo
hierarchical (looks hierarchical but there are some processes that break
the correspondence and make it clear that one concept is not a strict
state of another - files aligning with versions of a document, but you
could edit the file to produce a different document so you can't infer
from an 'edit' operation that a new file is also an IVP of the same
document.). And then, if you push far enough, I think you get to cases
where the objects from both ontologies have separate, interesting
lifecycles that we want to record - I tried to cast the document/file
example this way above, but I think it is even clearer in some of the
discussions of an egg versus the set of molecules in the egg, the
physical and legal ship, etc.

So - personal opinion again - I'd like to see IVP be something that we
allow to be asserted in both directions, but I would be happy to see
that downplayed because I think it is a relatively rare and fairly
confusing use case but an important one in some areas (the times when we
might really have lots of provenance in the two ontologies being mapped
and have important questions that depend on them might be rare or
specialized but I suspect that a lot of scientific experiments really
have some of this at their heart and I'd like to keep the power to
express them in the model.)

  Jim