Re: Formal semantics draft

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:40:34 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Hi James,

Thanks for drafting the semantics, it will help us pin down issues in
the data model.

I have a few general questions first, about the alignment of the
semantics and the data model.

As agreed in the call, I am sharing them by email.

1. PROV-DM identifies three levels
     1. things in the world
     2. entities, which are characterized things
     3. entity records, which are the records we create as part of a
provenance record

    It seems that things are not mentioned in your document. I believe
they are
    important to define specialization/alternates

2. PROV-DM tends to talk about events, whereas your semantics focuses on
time.
    PROV-DM assumes the existence of a mapping from events to time.  Is
it possible
    to align both?

3. Used or Generated don't seem to have activities. It seems
    counter-intuitive.  Can you clarify?

Cheers,
Luc