Re: PROV-DM structural constraints

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:01:35 +0000
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On Dec 21, 2011 6:52 AM, "Luc Moreau" <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> We have created a new section in which we discuss "structural
constraints" such as
> generation-unicity.

This reads very well! I also like having this as separate section.

I have one question (I might raise it as an issue of you like):

the term "precedes" is used alot, but it is not clear if this is inclusive
or exclusive, ie can say x precede y by 0 seconds?

If not, then we are forcing a non-zero duration between say generation time
and use time, which in most cases would be true, but not always measurable
(both might be recorded with same time)

In other (more conceptual) approaches this would not allow instant
durations such as "luc-aged-20" derived from "luc-aged-19" (the increment
activity here took 0s - or 1y if you like).