Re: PROV-ISSUE-203: Proposal to amend definition and usage of Plan in PROV-DM [prov-dm]

Hi Stephan

some comments interleaved.

On 15/12/11 23:18, Stephan Zednik wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Luc Moreau wrote:
>

>> Hi Stephan,
>>
>> Some comments interleaved.
>>
>> On 15/12/11 19:52, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>>
>>> PROV-ISSUE-203: Proposal to amend definition and usage of Plan in PROV-DM [prov-dm]
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/203
>>>
>>> Raised by: Stephan Zednik
>>> On product: prov-dm
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I would like to suggest an amended definition and usage for plan in PROV-DM.
>>>
>>> CONTEXT:
>>>
>>> 1. The concept of plan is currently related to activity via a plan link, which is a specialization of an activity association record; as a consequence all plans are agents.
>>>
>>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#record-planLink
>>>

>> It's important we understand why the consequence is that all plans are agents.
>> The inference association-agent
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#association-Agent
>> forces us to consider anything associated with an activity to be an agent.
>>
>> This inference leads already to unnatural agents in prov-dm.
>> Look at the example which directly follows
>>
>> It contains an entity --- the request to start an activity.
>> It must also be regarded as an agent.
>> I think this is equally problematic as regarding a plan as an agent.
>>
> Hmm, good point.  To me it reinforces the need to use some other relation than associatedWith with plan.

Why is this problem indicating a need for another relation?

It seems that both examples (plan and request as activity starter) show
that there may
be entities being associated with activities without them necessarily
being agents.

>> I feel that if we want to allow plan as entity, than we should also allow this request example to be an entity.
>>
>>> 2. This means that according to the definition of agent at http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#section-entity-activity-agent, plans 1) take an active role in an activity and 2) can be assigned some degree of responsibility for the activity taking place.
>>>

>>> 3. The relation between agents and the plan that guides their actions is not explicit in PROV-DM.  We could infer that all agents involved in an activity act according to the activity's linked plan, but this prevents us from describing an activity were multiple agents act guided by different plans.
>>>
>>> PROPOSAL 1: Amend the definition of plan in PROV-DM to:
>>>
>>> "In the context of PROV-DM, a plan should be understood as the description of a set of actions or steps intended by one or more agents to achieve some goal."
>>>

>> +1
>>
>>> PROPOSAL 2: Amend plan link record such that it is not a specialization of an activity association record.
>>>
>>> Comment: I do not think we should define all plans as agents.  By our existing definition a plan is a "set of actions or steps ... to achieve some goal."  It is a description (usually in the form of a document) of the action or actions an agent should take to achieve a desired goal.
>>>

>> If the intent is to allow plans to be entities and not agents, it is not the only approach.
>> I would like to suggest that:
>> 1. Constraint http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/default/model/ProvenanceModel.html#association-Agent
>>    should not hold, since the notion of just being associated with an activity does not imply agency.
>>
>> 2. Define agency independently from wasAssociatedWith.
>>
>> If we do this, then I think we can keep hadPlan as a specialization of wasAssociatedWith.
>>
>> My rationale is to try and minimize the number of distinct concepts/relations in the model.
>>

>>> As a description of the actions an agent should take, it does not make sense for a plan to have responsibility.  The responsible party for a plan (e.g. owner, creator) could have some responsibility for the outcome of the activity, but the description of the "set of actions or steps intended to achieve some goal" would not.
>>>

>> Commonly, we say: we followed the plan, but it didn't work. It's the plan's fault. I see no problem with a notion of "responsibility".
>>
> In PROV-DM we define a mild version of responsibility in the from of the actedOnBehalfOf relation.  This is the only definition for responsibility I saw in PROV-DM - e.g. no mention of accountability, obligation, or duty, so I will use it to scope any discussion of responsibility.

But also: An agent is a type of entity that takes an active role in an
activity such that it can be assigned some degree of responsibility for
the activity taking place.

I am not sure by what is meant by 'active role'. My request to start an
activity definitely plays an active role since it starts the activity.
To some extent, so does the plan.

> Can a plan act on behalf of an agent?  Can an agent act on behalf of a plan (which implies the plan could have itself acted)?

No. I agree with you.

> I would argue that a plan does not have agency, and therefore cannot act on behalf of another or have another act on its behalf.

I think you are using your own notion of 'agency' (or more exactly a
notion of agency understood in the research community),
but that's not what prov-dm defines as an agent.

Why can't we define agent independently of an association with an
activity and independently of responsibility?

Luc