Re: Renaming of ProcessExecution to Activity

From: Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 13:21:11 -0500
To: Simon Miles <simon.miles@kcl.ac.uk>
Cc: Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Good points, and that's partly why I've softened on "activity". However, I
still think we have a perfectly good word, "Event" that's being used as
part of the model that doesn't actually inhere in any concrete
representation. The DM uses "Event" in as much as it maps it to
"Instantaneous Event", neither of which are represented in the formal
model. I would much rather see another term for "instantaneous event", as
events are things that occur, and if they occur in the world, they always
have a start point and an end point. The definition of event that is
currently implied by the DM isn't one that is shared by the world at large.
It is the simplest, highest-level term that unambiguously describes an
occurrent in our model.

Jim
--
Jim McCusker