RE: How to attach a prov graph to an RDF Triple?

Martin, all,

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:42 PM, Martin Doerr [mailto:martin@ics.forth.gr] wrote:

> I think there are too many reification constructs around.

+1; for someone new to this topic, it's a pretty steep learning curve...

> The distinction of "source",
> "micropublication" "NamedGraph" shouldn't play any role. The logic of giving set of
> triples a name and class, and a reference count for the referred triples should be
> generic.

Yes, and if I understand Stian's examples correctly, nanopublications _are_ essentially named graphs in TriG syntax. Is that correct?

> It is up to implementers to optimize for small, one-triple and large graphs in
> their code. I think constructs like the "bundle" are good, but should fall under one
> generic construct. What is needed is a constraint mechanism on NamedGraphs, or
> however you may call it: As in the Bundle construct, we need to be able to define an
> entity class which instantiates as a named set of triples contraint to an RDF or OWL
> subschema.

Do you have any suggestion what that class might look like? My imagination fails me here.

> Applications go far beyond provenance, basically all epistemological
> information, such as argument and inference models, annotation models, observation
> models. In these applications, graphs mixing schema and instance data are not
> particularly relevant and could be left out in a first attempt.

In my humble opinion, we should always try to avoid mixing schema and instance data. When it comes to actually performing inference operations, we of course have to, but publishing the schema data separately ought to increase the possibilities of data re-use.

Best,

Lars

> Opinions?

Yes, but perhaps not very well phrased.