Re: "Provenance Techniques for CRUD" using PROV

Hi Byron,

Nice post.

Some pointers:

* Luc Moreau has two nice write-ups about provenance in the wild:
    *
http://lucmoreau.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/provenance-in-the-wild-provenance-at-the-gazette/
    *
http://lucmoreau.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/provenance-in-the-wild-the-2014-national-climate-assessment/

* I think a good way to interest software developers is version control -
which is one part of provenance. Checkout http://git2prov.org

* Although not using PROV directly, commons machinery has some nice
examples: http://commonsmachinery.se/labs/

* Content management system that supports prov:
http://callimachusproject.org

* For software libraries (PROV support):
    * python: provpy https://pypi.python.org/pypi/provpy
    * java: http://lucmoreau.github.io/ProvToolbox/
    * matlab: http://www.artefact.tk/software/matlab/provenance/
* Software libraries for provenance need prov support
   * R https://github.com/blernermhc/RDataTracker
   * python: https://github.com/gems-uff/noworkflow

* In the healthcare space you might be interested in the FHIR HL7
provenance mapping to prov:
http://www.hl7.org/implement/standards/fhir/provenance-mappings.html

I'm sure there's more and others on this list can chime in. I left out a
lot of the science examples which I think are cool.

cheers
Paul

(PS I would hope provbook.org is accessible but I'm really biased)

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Byron Ruth <b@devel.io> wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I’ve been learning and applying various provenance techniques in the
> applications I build, most of which are applications, ETL, and data
> analysis pipelines. I wrote a quick post explaining how provenance fits in
> to a common CRUD-based application:
> http://devel.io/2014/08/22/provenance-techniques-for-crud/
>
> On a related note, I been thinking a lot lately of how to push provenance
> into the “mainstream”. In my opinion the biggest challenge of pushing it
> mainstream is the lack of understanding of it’s benefits in everyday
> applications (once you understand provenance, it is quite obvious). Much of
> the content I’ve read are very academic and coming from an academic
> environment (research hospital), I know how academic content can be
> perceived. I am aggregating a list of resources that show practical use of
> provenance in everyday applications. Please send me any and all examples,
> source code, papers, articles etc. that fall into this category.
>
> My regards and thanks,
>
> Byron Ruth

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Web & Media Group | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam