Re: CG Recommendation

On Jan 6, 2014, at 9:37 AM, Kelvin Lawrence <klawrenc@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> As I mentioned before a few days ago, there are already plenty of serializations in existence. We should not be looking to create another one.
>
> I use GraphML (an XML markup) all the time. Their is also a JSON equivalent (GraphSON) and several CSV flavours of graph serializations as well as many other formats like GML, GEFX and GDF.
>
> I believe we should focus on gaps and not areas where de-facto or better standards already exist.
>
> Most existing graph technology can consume several of the existing formats.

As I've expressed before, I think there could be a great advantage to using JSON-LD for publishing property graph data; there have been some parallel discussions on how this might be accomplished.

One of the Linked JSON CG's work items to to create a streaming profile for JSON-LD, that would get around the in-memory limitations of the existing algorithms; this could make JSON-LD appropriate for large database dumps. There already is a streaming algorithm for turning an abstract RDF dataset into JSON-LD, so extending this for a property graph mapping should be straight-forward.

Gregg