Draft Problem Statement

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 11:15:56 -0400
To: public-pronunciation@w3.org
Our evolving use cases are indicating that HTML lang (and associated
specifications such as BC47 and RFC5747) are inadequate to support
internationalization of test to speech (TTS) based web applications
(including assistive technologies and personal data assistants).
Specifically, no existing standards allow us to perform any of the
following:

*	Indicate what type of voice should be used, e.g. male, female,
*	child, etc.

*	Indicate a voice affect, e.g. a "friendly" or "sinister" voice.

*	Indicate historic pronunciation patterns, e.g. en_UK does not
*	help specify Chaucerian, or Shakespearian pronunciation.

We would like to explore whether a new specification might be needed,
what its schema might need to be, and whether we need to engage non
W3C organizations in this activity (such as IETF).

--

Janina Sajka (she/her/hers)
https://linkedin.com/in/jsajka

Co-Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa