Draft Response to RNIB Issue 92

From: Paul Grenier <pgrenier@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 09:11:31 -0400
To: Pronunciation Task Force <public-pronunciation@w3.org>
Dean,

Thank you for your considerate feedback.

The task force evaluated the CSS Speech specification for a possible
solution to our use cases. You can find the results of our research in the
Gap Analysis document:
https://w3c.github.io/pronunciation/gap-analysis_and_use-case.

The data-* is only intended to be a placeholder for prototype
implementation. We will eventually get our own attribute(s) once we
coordinate with HTML standards groups.

We agree that a JSON schema would help implementors validate their work.
However, browsers or AT may choose an event-base parsing approach which can
not benefit from a schema. It will be their decision.

Errors triggered by malformed instructions will most likely go ignored, the
way invalid HTML is currently treated. Once again, we feel this is under
the purview of the implementors. Although we encourage authoring tools to
provide this feature, it goes beyond the realm of our specification at this
time.