W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-pronunciation@w3.org > July 2020

Meeting Minutes: W3C Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference, Wednesday, July 22

From: Dyer, Dee <ddyer@ets.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:09:31 +0000
To: "Ali, Irfan" <iali@ets.org>, "public-pronunciation@w3.org" <public-pronunciation@w3.org>
Message-ID: <MN2PR07MB67995CE49A222E142EF556A9A2790@MN2PR07MB6799.namprd07.prod.outlook.com>
Hi All,

The meeting minutes for July 15, 2020, can be accessed via the following link: https://www.w3.org/2020/07/22-pronunciation-minutes.html. In addition, the full text of the minutes follows my signature.

Thank you,

Dee Dyer
Assessment Process Specialist, Accessibility and Alternate Formats
Technology, Accessibility, and Innovation
ETS | Assessment and Learning Technology Development
Princeton, NJ | N-137-C | office: 609-683-2127


[W3C]<http://www.w3.org/>

- DRAFT -
Spoken Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference
22 Jul 2020
Attendees
Present
irfan, Dee, paul_grenier, JF, SteveNoble_, janina, NeilS
Regrets
Chair
Irfan
Scribe
Dee
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2020/07/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   technical approach<https://www.w3.org/2020/07/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item01>
     *   issue triage<https://www.w3.org/2020/07/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item02>
     *   Other Business<https://www.w3.org/2020/07/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#item03>
  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2020/07/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2020/07/22-pronunciation-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________

<irfan> scribe: Dee

technical approach

Janina: We have many use cases for interoperable pronunciation. We have two approaches with pros and cons. We need to get a sense of consensus of which to follow. We try to get as much feedback from the group as possible. It is not a majority decision.

Mark: Background, solving pronunciation needs in the assessment space. Mechanism to add pronunciation cues that are easy to author.
... Different vendors have different approaches.
... This group began looking at approaches that would work for everyone.
... The group has landed on two approaches.
... SSML inline approach has advantages. Some applications support inlining SSML.
... The second approach is the attribute model.
... There is also a single attribute model.

Both approaches are presented in the explainer docoument.

Paul Grenier (PG): The more natural fit is to have an XML solution. Concerned about authoring.

PG: XML or XML-like tags around HTML
... Reuse is desirable, similar to SVG resuse model.

Mark: Part of the AT challenge: accessing more of the DOM tree.

Neil: Question for Mark, not sure if the attribute will be in the accessibility tree. Is it that the AT will have to do a deeper dive?

Mark: SSML attribute may be easier to query.
... AT vendors will have to comment.

Neil: Can't recommend what was done for Mathtype.
... Aria live regions are areas where pronunciation guidance may be needed/is desired. Ask AT vendors about this.

Peter (Texthelp): Would like to stay away from aria.

PG: Similar issue, use aria label for phone numbers, but this would affect the Braille display.

Peter: Texthelp adopted the json approach and it works well.
... Phone numbers, street addresses, etc. are working.
... Texthelp developer is not available for scheduled meeting.

Janina: perhaps have another meeting in order to have as wide a response as possible.

Data dash discussion. Full HTML5 or reserved word.

Irfan:

Janina: Sending another email to increase replies from stakeholders.

Irfan: Will stakeholders be able to give feedback via email?

Janina: In person conversation is preferred.

Mark: Pearson also implemented an attribute model. IMS standards do support SSML attributes.

Irfan: Next week we will have more vendor/expert feedback.

Alan (Cambium): raw text implementation.

Alan: what is the best way to interact with others outside of the meeting.

Email.

issue triage

<paul_grenier> https://glitch.com/edit/#!/ssml-components


<irfan> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/64


<paul_grenier> custom element example implementation

Janina: challenge to meet broader needs, not just AT.

Mark: Apple does not support SSML but they do have their own speech markup.
... Software testing tool maps to Mac commands. The data attribute model is not necessarily tied to a synthesizer that has its own markup.
... this is a potential benefit

Other Business

<mhakkinen> I have to drop to chair another meeting. Thanks all!

Janina: agenda will be included in the email to the vendors

Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions
[End of minutes]
________________________________
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version (CVS log<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2020/07/22 15:02:27 $
________________________________


________________________________

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.


Thank you for your compliance.

________________________________

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

Received on Wednesday, 22 July 2020 15:09:47 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Wednesday, 22 July 2020 15:09:48 UTC