Re: SSML attributes vs embedded

Interesting point. We can certainly discuss it more in this week’s pronunciation call. Would you create a issue in github please?

Regards,

From: Alan Reeve <alan.reeve@cambiumassessment.com>
Date: Monday, July 20, 2020 at 12:11 PM
To: "public-pronunciation@w3.org" <public-pronunciation@w3.org>
Subject: SSML attributes vs embedded

Greetings,

I hope it's not inappropriate for me to send an email like this as I've just recently joined the group and then was out for a week after that and... etc. I see there are two models that are currently being considered. I had one question and it's probably already been debated and dismissed, but I'll ask anyways.

Was an attribute based model that broke each piece of SSML data into a separate attribute considered so as to avoid the JSON issue? I know it would be more verbose, but while I like the attribute model better personally I don't care for the JSON.

For example, instead of

According the 2010 US Census, the population of <span data-ssml='{"say-as" : {"interpret-as":"digits"}}'>90274</span> increased to 25209 from 24976 over the past 10 years.

it'd be

According the 2010 US Census, the population of <span data-ssml='say-as'  data-ssml-interpret-as='digits'>90274</span> increased to 25209 from 24976 over the past 10 years.

- Thanks, Alan

Thank you for your compliance.