W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-pronunciation@w3.org > January 2020

W3C Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference, Wednesday January 15, 2020

From: Loew, Christine <cloew@collegeboard.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 16:00:21 +0000
To: "Ali, Irfan" <iali@ets.org>, Pronunciation Task Force <public-pronunciation@w3.org>
Message-ID: <BN6PR11MB40831A5048865E508EE9D992CD370@BN6PR11MB4083.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
The meeting minutes, for January 15th 2020 are available at https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html


Also posted below for your convenience.

Sincerely,

Christine K. Loew, Director
Accessibility for Digital Assessments

The College Board
11955 Democracy Drive, Reston VA 20190
T 571.392.2228 | M 202.486.2700
cloew@collegeboard.org<mailto:cloew@collegeboard.org>

Clearing a path for all students to own their future


________________________________
[W3C]<http://www.w3.org/>
- DRAFT -
Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference
15 Jan 2020
Attendees
Present
Irfan, JF, paul_grenier, janina, SteveNoble
Regrets
Chair
Irfan Ali
Scribe
Christine
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   use case and gap analysis merge document<https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html#item01>
     *   use case issue triage<https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html#item02>
     *   explainer DRAFT document<https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html#item03>
     *   other business<https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html#item04>
  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2020/01/15-pronunciation-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________
<JF> Zal,im, who is here?
<Irfan> scribe: Christine
use case and gap analysis merge document
Review of document show gaps and repetitive infomation; we need to determine the approach as it appears we have derailed from the approach
In the approach we identify 5 examples, with information; in our explainer document we have focused on 2 approaches. In the gap analysis and use case, we are a little off track
There are 5 parts, with the first being the introduction. We have added mixed language scenarios and expectations, but this can be taken in phase 2 and not as part of the features we have identified.
In addition, rate, speech and volume be descoped for another version of the document i.e. phase 2.
We should focus the features we have previously identified and complete this document
Paul: to paraphrase, we should use language that are based on our use cases.
Irfan response - Examples we have provided in use cases are different from the core features.
Janina - should we put off language or not? We can always add declarative markup, which is not a discovery
Janina - we have a declarative mechanism and we are in an educational sphere and we may be limiting ourselves in many disciplines - medicine, music, law, etc.
Janina - keep declarative language and not detection of language
Janina - we should be specific in what we limit ourselves
Paul - the only thing that describes language is a lang attribute. In the context of language markup it is not detected.
Janina - the expectation is that we are pronouncing something that is marked up
Mark - I don't see the problem that Paul proposes
Irfan - is it good to provide a code example
Mark - more example always help
Paul - some examples may not require a lang attribute and sometime we don't want the pronunciation to make sense to the end user. What is then the recommendation for declarative? We need examples or guidelines for authors
<Zakim> Janina, you wanted to ask about lang
Irfan - changes to the document require discussion
WCAG requires that foreign language requires markup
The lang attribute declares the language and we augment on how it is pronounced
Are we looking to effectively mandate that you cannot use the pronunciation without the declarative lang attribute?
Janina - it does matter what the lang is for end users to know if they require language software
John - If using the pronunciation mechanism then you must declare the language, is that what we are asking?
Janina - we are only requiring how a word is pronounced
John - declare the expected language and then this is how it is pronounced, is that what we want?
Janina - what is the scoping extent of the pronunciation spec to look for alternative? Are we supporting this?
Mark - it would be great to have a perspective from TTS vendor on precedence.
Irfan - discussion with TextHelp, the implementation used is lang attribute for a particular word, or more specific a particular voice.
Mark - lang tag differs between specific speech synthesizers
Mark - we may not be able to solve this question.
Janina - we may need to add languages supported in the metadata.
Mark - example of current technologies detect language should be included in the document
Irfan - how to handle rate, speech and volume; can we add it in a separate section?
Irfan - summarizing the comments and come up with some agreement with some of the team members, and discuss in subsequent call/meeting
Irfan - Gap analysis section has empty sections, which we need examples to be added.
<Irfan> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/pronunciation/merge-doc/gap-analysis_and_use-case/index.html

use case issue triage
<Irfan> https://github.com/w3c/pronunciation/issues/50

Irfan - Paul has created a domain pronunciation
Paul - wanted to know whether we should pursue this, or set it aside. For someone that relies on speech to text to inform navigation, there is a security issue that uses phishing tactics
Paul - main concern is security and we can punt this to other groups
Janina - defer to w3c groups for guidance
Janina - maybe we exclude URIs
Irfan - add a comment waiting for review
explainer DRAFT document
Irfan - no other edits have been made to the Explainer document
Mark - we are in good shape, still in draft
Ready to be published?
Janina - this are published as a general explanation
Will follow up as there are no prescribed expectations; will follow up with APA
Roy - to publish Explainer there should be a w3c note and consensus
Irfan - format document to match other documents we have (i.e. w3c format)
Irfan - in agreement to publish, convert to required format and send
other business
Mark - we are targeted to be at ATIA conference and present the work of this group, as a call to action to the AT community to support this group
Irfan - APA working group meeting to include Leoni Watson
Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions
[End of minutes]
________________________________
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.154 (CVS log<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2020/01/15 15:52:18 $
________________________________
Scribe.perl diagnostic output
[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/


Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: Irfan, JF, paul_grenier, janina, SteveNoble
Present: Irfan JF paul_grenier janina SteveNoble
Found Scribe: Christine
Inferring ScribeNick: Christine
Found Date: 15 Jan 2020
People with action items:

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain
a link to the original IRC log.)


[End of scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> diagnostic output]

From: Ali, Irfan <iali@ets.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:01 PM
To: Pronunciation Task Force <public-pronunciation@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] W3C Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference, Wednesday January 8, 2020

Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference - 2020-15-01



Call Agenda


If you would like to add an item to the agenda please send reply to this mail.


agenda+ Use case document  <https://raw.githack.com/w3c/pronunciation/merge-doc/gap-analysis_and_use-case/index.html><applewebdata://96560012-B34D-406A-8EF1-DF7AEC8D5CBA/%3chttps:/raw.githack.com/w3c/pronunciation/merge-doc/gap-analysis_and_use-case/index.html%3e>
agenda+ <Use case issue triage><https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Fpronunciation%2Fissues%2F50&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683626300&sdata=bv84tk1L7ENS%2Bx0YJEKGGAJJqAlZ9%2BH22SROpZwyk8w%3D&reserved=0>
agenda+ Edit explainer DRAFT document

Agenda+ Other Businesses

Previous Meeting Minutes
https://www.w3.org/2020/01/08-pronunciation-minutes.html<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2020%2F01%2F08-pronunciation-minutes.html&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683636301&sdata=Ksnj%2BIdeGCqADO3PDIQOv4XXHDpX38iatyp1%2FBhGe0E%3D&reserved=0>


This teleconference is scheduled every Wednesdays at 10:00 until 11:00 AM Boston time.



Chair: Irfan Ali

Scribe: TBD
IRC: irc.w3.org<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Firc.w3.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683636301&sdata=OGTud%2F7cc1CU9PRKESfevVVrBKobK3nvpOy1OCDqPas%3D&reserved=0>: #pronunciation

Call Details:

To join the audio conference only:

US Toll Number: +1-617-324-0000
Access code: 643 546 488
Mobile Auto Dial:+1-617-324-0000,,, 643546488#

Call-in information for Pronunciation TF meeting
https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_pronunciation-wed<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2017%2F08%2Ftelecon-info_pronunciation-wed&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683646292&sdata=QmwwiIBsoB2Rt2eJoHxIgBUWUqyOe5OBb4o%2Bhhrk8dI%3D&reserved=0>


* IRC discussion on the #pronunciation IRC channel, used largely for minute-taking;

Logistics:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.timeanddate.com%2Fworldclock%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683646292&sdata=9qnDJt7rUuinJ2tckrue2lAAH18BELYZzErlD0XLVlw%3D&reserved=0>


Resources and useful links

* Pronunciation Gap Analysis document page <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fgap-analysis%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683656285&sdata=ifbvWrEYeuRUL2gQJ%2F58Olb4DZz1EnWj8xFAKx%2BMRSQ%3D&reserved=0>
* Pronunciation User Scenarios document page  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fuser-scenarios%2Fdraft&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683656285&sdata=epxQSzLz0ICh%2BNAgnyE9zUH4r4o7GKryLHdgVyacXYQ%3D&reserved=0>

* Pronunciation Use Cases document page  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fuse-cases%2Fdraft&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683666277&sdata=jfL4h1EoJM1k%2B8KVhgKWekF4qoHlWOCskuUTrNeu0Kk%3D&reserved=0>

* Our Home Page<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FAPA%2Ftask-forces%2Fpronunciation&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683666277&sdata=UWraT%2FAV3yfZX3yG2gFegyxLQW1bmewezUqxjRkVZ2k%3D&reserved=0>

* Teleconferences information<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FAPA%2Ftask-forces%2Fpronunciation%2Fwiki%2FPronunciation_Meeting&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683676274&sdata=Ki8%2B4cimeRiHsvuzsv2yMERj0nvGAkNMVLvt5y6jpzM%3D&reserved=0> (also see meeting minutes)

* mailing list archives <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.w3.org%2FArchives%2FPublic%2Fpublic-pronunciation%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683676274&sdata=G%2BA75PiHDMKqLpi9ut6zhhQOUYOMVkROJU2sNblN%2BmQ%3D&reserved=0>

* Wiki<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Fpronunciation%2Fwiki&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683686269&sdata=I%2BaPh3%2B%2BSal2w7rOs9wxUIb1Dm9jYjeFyguqLcoBaAI%3D&reserved=0>
* pronunciation source repository issue tracker<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Fpronunciation%2Fissues&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683686269&sdata=v3ZHgZ%2BRCf4yC6HFO3NLTr0u6puCmhKfO7T1nXjgvxE%3D&reserved=0> .



Irfan Ali
Principal Research System Specialist
Accessibility Standards & Inclusive Technology Group (ASIT)
C-130, 660 Rosedale Road
Princeton, NJ 08541
Phone: (O)609-524-8181
           (C)917-349-2698
Email: iali@ets.org<mailto:iali@ets.org>

Chair, Pronunciation Task Force : https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/pronunciation/<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FAPA%2Ftask-forces%2Fpronunciation%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7Cf0b8c3a95b5a4bb96f4008d7993d41ae%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C637146360683696264&sdata=9w3foCrZOfIf17MeldvO4BLM3kAxhtyNLKgKnHu2IMQ%3D&reserved=0>


________________________________

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.


Thank you for your compliance.

________________________________

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

Received on Wednesday, 15 January 2020 16:00:29 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:49:48 UTC