W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-pronunciation@w3.org > July 2019

RE: [EXTERNAL] Agenda: W3C Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference, July 24, 2019

From: Loew, Christine <cloew@collegeboard.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 15:15:49 +0000
To: "Ali, Irfan" <iali@ets.org>, "public-pronunciation@w3.org" <public-pronunciation@w3.org>
Message-ID: <BN6PR1101MB2291E2CBD3C0962E9B159C18CDC60@BN6PR1101MB2291.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
The meeting minutes for the July 24th Pronunciation Task Force are available at https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html and full text provided below.

Please provide any feedback or corrections to the information captured, as needed.

________________________________
Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference
24 Jul 2019
Attendees
Present
Irfan, Sam, Christine, paul_grenier, Dee, JF, SteveNoble, janina
Regrets
Chair
Irfan Ali
Scribe
Christine
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   Janina<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#item01>
     *   New Membership<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#item02>
     *   TPAC 2019 (Coordination with various groups)<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Survey Questions<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#item04>
     *   User Scenarios<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#item05>
  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2019/07/24-pronunciation-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________
<paul_grenier> Syncing a remote fork: https://help.github.com/en/articles/syncing-a-fork
Janina
Janina, announces a new role as an Amazon representative in W3C
<janina> Important to note that I will represent Amazon in the work of the AGWG
<janina> In this group, and in all APA work, I continue as always, as a W3C Invited Expert
New Membership
Irfan: a few profiles to be reviewed
TPAC 2019 (Coordination with various groups)
Janina: no updates, this week.
Irfan: list of working groups developed, including the CSS working group as the use cases are very useful. We can discuss whether we wnat to restart this discussion.
Janina: We do have some agenda that overlaps, but we may need to bring this up with the APA group. List may be useful, but we need to consider the outcome.
John: The CSS working group may need a justification for a bigger use case. They should care about this beyond just screen reader users
Janina: Absolutely, this should be important especially if it involves CSS.
Irfan: Will work to frame the discussion with Janina
... Second working group involves ARIA working group; including ARIA label Braille property.
... this is about assistive technology and needs further discussion, if ARIA label speech is going to be proposed; will follow-up and check if the ARIA working group will be pursuing and whether this is a collaboration opportunity
... another group proposed, by John or "Ringo" the Time text working grpup; align with them to see if we can sync up on use cases, and overlap of activities
JF: Time Text working group and the BBC news group would be interested in our efforts, worth our effort to track this down. They have a particular use case concerned about accurate reading of the news.
Irfan: One approach is to talk to the working groups, as well as, industry leaders, offline.
... another group to engage is the HTML working group.
JF: Socialize what we are doing here will help to get this moving forward.
Janina: we want to include SSML in HTML, as a necessity
JF: Can Schema.org achieve this with name spacing; need to identify similar opportunities for specifications and accessibility.
Janina: how does schema.org support this working group? SSML supports our efforts; if this approach doesn't work we can look at other alternatives.
<Irfan> https://www.w3.org/TR/string-meta/

Irfan: Another group is the internationalization working group; use group has many use cases around different languages and their approach is similar to our approach. This is a very important working group that we need to pursue collaboration.
Survey Questions
Irfan: Working with Mark to create questions for the survey; We need help identifying more questions. Single select approach with free text area, regarding preferred approach for SSML as attribute model.
... What other questions can we ask the AT vendors? A list of AT vendors to be posted. Please add any others
<Irfan> Apple - James Craig & David Singer Google - Lisa Palumbo & Dominic Mazzoni & Alice Boxhall Microsoft - Melanie Richards & Sara ??? & Brett Humphries NVDA - Jamie Teh’s replacement Orca - Joanie Diggs Vispero - Glen Gordon Mozilla - Marco Zehe? TextHelp - Martin McKay DonJohnston - Johnston Kurzweil - ??? Dolphin Computer Access - Noel Duffy Read Aloud Amazon - Peter Korn and Robin Dautricourt Daisy Consortium - George Kerscher & Daniel Weck Comcast -[CUT]
User Scenarios
<janina> The Russian word for restaurant will look like: pectopah
Irfan: Dee proposed user scenario with 'spelling' as measured in assessments, as well as the language attribute which can present some issues with test construct as well as issues with AT and end user comprehension
JF: testing the lang attribute requires correct use of the attribute.
Janina: need to also install language to avoid issues with parsing
Paul: These are all page level meta data
... working on Proof reader for use cases
Janina: We have a few weeks left. Documents need to be workable as a 1st working draft.
Irfan: We can publish them soon
Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions
[End of minutes]


Thanks,

Christine K. Loew, Director
Accessibility for Digital Assessments

The College Board
11955 Democracy Drive, Reston VA 20190
T 571.392.2228 | M 202.486.2700
cloew@collegeboard.org<mailto:cloew@collegeboard.org>

Clearing a path for all students to own their future



From: Ali, Irfan <iali@ets.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:20 PM
To: public-pronunciation@w3.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Agenda: W3C Pronunciation Task Force Teleconference, July 24, 2019

Previous Meeting Minutes
https://www.w3.org/2019/07/17-pronunciation-minutes.html<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2019%2F07%2F17-pronunciation-minutes.html&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614718121&sdata=N6EjyP9n7Va9fctkIFm%2F8340ikCuk1WoyEcfot7C2Sc%3D&reserved=0>




Call Agenda


If you would like to add an item to the agenda please send reply to this mail.





agenda+ New Membership

agenda+ TPAC 2019 (Coordination with various groups)

Agenda+ Survey Questions

agenda+ User Scenarios<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fuser-scenarios%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614718121&sdata=GCIi72iQGBaSsar%2FtvSYG1y374PFLly8DwYrDzR27ww%3D&reserved=0>

agenda+ Use case document<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fuse-cases%2Fdraft&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614728120&sdata=P9qOCfSOL8HAt%2FErSssRvnqs0x4BGwu9OkTsMZ%2FJ20s%3D&reserved=0>

agenda+ Gap Analysis<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fgap-analysis%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614738115&sdata=DlSDkgL4r7JO0sb7BFer1hcx1AdlCU1MgeXpWQeDxnA%3D&reserved=0>

agenda+ Timeline

agenda+ other business


 This teleconference is scheduled every Wednesdays at 10:00 until 11:00 AM Boston time.



Chair: Irfan Ali

Scribe: TBD
IRC: irc.w3.org<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Firc.w3.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614738115&sdata=xZU%2FZ%2BDrhHzwrWf1CKGP4YNlfQEzCbYWmvmrdfMs4ZI%3D&reserved=0>: #pronunciation

Call Details:

To join the audio conference only:

US Toll Number: +1-617-324-0000
Access code: 643 546 488
Mobile Auto Dial:+1-617-324-0000,,, 643546488#

Call-in information for Pronunciation TF meeting
https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_pronunciation-wed<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2017%2F08%2Ftelecon-info_pronunciation-wed&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614748113&sdata=dgxlDjjYkfkY4tIAiQ7%2FJGyc6C0BFGvhuAHSB542f2Q%3D&reserved=0>


* IRC discussion on the #pronunciation IRC channel, used largely for minute-taking;

Logistics:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.timeanddate.com%2Fworldclock%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614758110&sdata=djvizMY60%2F91vIfvrzrt5uyKapfJ%2F2QF2ioRKMTmvrY%3D&reserved=0>


Resources and useful links

* Pronunciation Gap Analysis document page <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fgap-analysis%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614758110&sdata=SDnZNWF6RjMb%2BCYd7akFjWkjY3vjhG9J5PshZu4%2BRug%3D&reserved=0>
* Pronunciation User Scenarios document page  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fuser-scenarios%2Fdraft&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614768102&sdata=3yUbjfKVFY0DhKHIg%2FJmvfSEcQuQYGU4EXCjPYevDRU%3D&reserved=0>

* Pronunciation Use Cases document page  <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fpronunciation%2Fuse-cases%2Fdraft&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614778097&sdata=wAY11fHdAlGtkJFByl4yl%2FSdB5VJXJynQ9%2Byg52SvGg%3D&reserved=0>

* Our Home Page<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FAPA%2Ftask-forces%2Fpronunciation&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614778097&sdata=MVZpS6X3oHMvpfjg7g9gtETKUJgJzhSL%2FnPRXyz6Lg8%3D&reserved=0>

* Teleconferences information<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FAPA%2Ftask-forces%2Fpronunciation%2Fwiki%2FPronunciation_Meeting&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614788096&sdata=FJ9jHelzb0%2BNOhJGuTLJVAtym5M4AmG834PtI2zOzS8%3D&reserved=0> (also see meeting minutes)

* mailing list archives <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.w3.org%2FArchives%2FPublic%2Fpublic-pronunciation%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614798088&sdata=dQ7jdWEqMn%2FIR4YMuSLjcSrZ2xSMZPKA%2Bjdok1uV%2Fng%3D&reserved=0>

* Wiki<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Fpronunciation%2Fwiki&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614798088&sdata=tRmxVGvmlc5pED5buyscqWNOCFlLjIEhlC8%2FNp05l2A%3D&reserved=0>
* pronunciation source repository issue tracker<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Fpronunciation%2Fissues&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614808083&sdata=Rev9UxRAW2zc%2BVM9B5APrq4sXstd6CE25fKFCfcqH5w%3D&reserved=0> .


Irfan Ali
Principal Research System Specialist
Accessibility Standards & Inclusive Technology Group (ASIT)
C-130, 660 Rosedale Road
Princeton, NJ 08541
Phone: (O)609-524-8181
           (C)917-349-2698
Email: iali@ets.org<mailto:iali@ets.org>

Chair, Pronunciation Task Force : https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/pronunciation/<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FAPA%2Ftask-forces%2Fpronunciation%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ccloew%40collegeboard.org%7C87f1c78846f54a536eea08d70f9a8379%7C7530bdedfd6e4f58b5d2ea681eb07663%7C0%7C0%7C636995028614818082&sdata=VNEDp58coZW5NijZ9HYa3ES2Bv%2BvDjlC%2BrAYNdzdvE0%3D&reserved=0>



________________________________

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.


Thank you for your compliance.

________________________________
Received on Wednesday, 24 July 2019 15:16:18 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 16:49:47 UTC